Menu
📮 Hardcover and Paperback Extraordinary Quality
📯 Have Audible Audio Edition

Chambers 21st Century Dictionary

Synopsis : "Chambers 21st Century Dictionary is the ideal dictionary for the modern world. The focus is on the English that people use today, and definitions are given in straightforward, accessible language. It is packed with usage notes giving advice on tricky points of style, grammar and punctuation. [-Mairi Robinson, George W. Davidson-] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- Chambers 21st Century Dictionary [-Mairi Robinson, George W. Davidson-]"
Portable Document Format
Kindle Package Format
Electronic Publication
Preparing ...pdb
eBOOK
Preparing ...docx
Preparing ...html
Preparing ...zip
Preparing ...fb2
TXT

A History of the Chambers Dictionary

Synopsis : "In the literature on English lexicography there have been few attempts at a systematic study of the history of popular dictionaries that have been around for many years in English-speaking countries. A dictionary like Chambers deserves special attention because of its long tradition that goes back to the nineteenth century. Although it has gone through numerous editions, its history has received little attention from scholars. The book traces the development of the Chambers Dictionary from its origins to the present time by comparing corresponding parts of successive editions of the dictionary. This comparative approach aims to determine major trends in the evolution of the dictionary. It will provide scholars and interested students with insights into the Chambers lexicographers’ work, the goals they aimed to achieve, and the problems they had to face when revising the dictionary. [-Mariusz Kaminski-] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- A History of the Chambers Dictionary [-Mariusz Kaminski-]"
Portable Document Format
Preparing ...kpf
Preparing ...epub
PDB
E-BOOK
DOC
HTML
Preparing ...zip
Preparing ...kf8
Text-Book

The Oxford Handbook of Lexicography

Synopsis : "This volume provides concise, authoritative accounts of the approaches and methodologies of modern lexicography and of the aims and qualities of its end products. Leading scholars and professional lexicographers, from all over the world and representing all the main traditions and perspectives, assess the state of the art in every aspect of research and practice. The book is divided into four parts, reflecting the main types of lexicography. Part I looks at synchronic dictionaries - those for the general public, monolingual dictionaries for second-language learners, and bilingual dictionaries. Part II and III are devoted to the distinctive methodologies and concerns of the historical dictionaries and specialist dictionaries respectively, while chapters in Part IV examine specific topics such as description and prescription; the representation of pronunciation; and the practicalities of dictionary production. The book ends with a chronology of the major events in the history of lexicography. It will be a valuable resource for students, scholars, and practitioners in the field. [-Philip Durkin-] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- The Oxford Handbook of Lexicography [-Philip Durkin-]"
Portable Document Format
Kindle Package Format
ePUB
PDB
Electronic Book
Preparing ...doc
Preparing ...mobi
Preparing ...zip
Preparing ...kf8
Text-Book

English Words History and Structure

Synopsis : "English Words: History and Structure is concerned primarily with the learned vocabulary of English, the words borrowed from the classical languages. It surveys the historical events that define the layers of vocabulary in English, introduces some of the basic principles of linguistic analysis, and is a helpful manual for vocabulary discernment and enrichment. Exercises accompanying each chapter and further readings on recent loans and the legal and medical vocabulary of English will be available online in the near future. • Introduces students to some basic linguistic terms needed for the discussion of phonological and morphological changes accompanying word formation • Designed to lead students to a finer appreciation of their language and greater ability to recognize relationships between words and discriminate between meanings • An informative appendix discusses the history and usefulness of the best known British and American dictionaries • Online readings and exercises to deepen and strengthen knowledge acquired in the classroom [-Robert Stockwell, Donka Minkova-] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- English Words History and Structure [-Robert Stockwell, Donka Minkova-]"
PDF
Preparing ...kpf
Electronic Publication
Palm Database
eBOOK
DOCx
Preparing ...mobi
Preparing ...djvu
Preparing ...fb2
Preparing ...txt

Chambers Compact Dictionary

Synopsis : "Chambers Compact Dictionary is the ideal dictionary for you if - you want a wide-ranging, modern, uncluttered dictionary for use at home or in the office - you want a dictionary that is suitable for all students aged 16 and above, that will help them with their studies - you want a dictionary that contains register labels, to help you identify informal, slang and vulgar terms and use them with care - you want a dictionary that includes a wealth of information on the modern world, including a map section. Derived from the acclaimed Chambers 21st Century Dictionary, this comprehensive, up-to-date and easy-to-use dictionary focuses on contemporary English providing straightforward definitions and practical guidance on usage. Layout is exceptionally clear, with color used to highlight and distinguish parts of the text to make information easier to find. The dictionary also features a unique World Reference section, which draws together facts and figures on the world today, complemented by a series of maps. Special features: Over 170,000 references and definitions. Unique two-color design makes entries exceptionally easy to use. Clear definitions supplemented by notes on usage give practical guidance on using English confidently and effectively. Grammar and usage notes, and help with spelling. Covers British and American English. World Reference section features: Over 7,000 facts and figures on the world today, complemented by maps. Information presented in tables and lists for ready reference. [-Chambers-] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- Chambers Compact Dictionary [-Chambers-]"
ADOBE PDF
KPF
EPUB
PDB
eBOOK
DOC
MOBI
DjVu
Preparing ...kf8
TXT

Geriatric Medicine: an evidence-based approach

Synopsis : "People are living longer and the population over the age of 60 is burgeoning, with repercussions for health services and healthcare expenditure in developed countries. Crucially, disease aetiology, diagnosis, and treatment in older people differ from the general adult population. Older people often have complicated co-morbidities and respond to treatment in different ways compared to younger people. Evidence of efficacy of different treatments is often lacking because older people are under-represented in clinical trials, and the specific needs of older people are rarely discussed specifically in more general texts. Geriatric medicine: an evidence based approach is a clinical reference for health care professionals who manage older patients, and summarizes up-to-date research literature in a style that can be directly applied by busy healthcare professionals and provide a useful resource for reference. [-Frank Lally, Christine Roffe-] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- Geriatric Medicine: an evidence-based approach [-Frank Lally, Christine Roffe-]"
Portable Document Format
Kindle Package Format
Electronic Publication
Preparing ...rtf
Electronic Book
DOCx
MOBI
Preparing ...zip
FB2
Preparing ...txt

Textbook on Criminology

Synopsis : "This text offers an engaging and wide-ranging account of crime and criminology. It provides a clear and comprehensive consideration of the theoretical, practical, and political aspects of the subject, including the influence of physical, biological, psychological, and social factors on criminality. [-Katherine S. Williams-] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- Textbook on Criminology [-Katherine S. Williams-]"
PDF
KPF
EPUB
Palm Database
EBOOK
DOC
Mobipocket
DjVu
FB2
Text-Book

Value Education: Based On All The Religions Of The World (In Two Volumes)

Synopsis : "The book on Value Education, based on all the religions of the world, is an anthology. During Dr. Promilla Kapur s. Travels, she was approached by many eminent scholars to compile a book based on the teachings of all the religions of the world. It was a Herqulion task but the efforts were worth the trouble. In the month of January 2001 she started approaching the eminent. Scholars and religious heads to write chapters of the book. The most eminent scholars in Hinduism, Jainism, Aryaa Samaj, Islam, Christianity, Zorastrisism, Sikhism Bhai s faith and so on were contacted. Almost hundred reminders to each were sent. At one stage it gave the feelings that it was an impossible task, but the tenacity of Dr. Promilla Kapur kept her on the track. By January of 2004 the chapters started arriving. All the religious leaders and eminent scholars gave the word of wisdom on all the religions of the world. It was heartening to read that not a single chapter writer differed form the positive image of each religion. The preaching was almost identical. Love, affection, caring and sharing. Forgiveness, tolerance and compassion for the entire human beings were the common theme revealed in all the papers. The book is the need of the hour and will earn its proper place in the human society all over the world. [-Sukh Lal Dhani-] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- Value Education: Based On All The Religions Of The World (In Two Volumes) [-Sukh Lal Dhani-]"
Portable Document Format
Preparing ...kpf
ePUB
Palm Database
eBOOK
DOCx
Preparing ...html
Preparing ...zip
Preparing ...fb2
TXT

Citoyens ou consommateurs? Les mutations rhétoriques et politiques au Royaume-Uni

Synopsis : "Citoyen ou consommateur ? Entre 1979 et 1990. pendant les trois mandats de Mme Thatcher, c'est avant tout le consommateur qui trouve une place privilégiée dans les choix politiques des gouvernements. Pour faire émerger la " Nouvelle " Droite, elle cherche en effet à éloigner son parti du consensus social-démocrate en vigueur depuis ta guerre et, sous sa houlette, le citoyen-travailleur " marshallien " voit ses droits " universels " et " inaliénables " s'amenuiser au point d'être supplanté par le citoyen-consommateur. Pour redynamiser la citoyenneté, le successeur de Mme Thatcher, John Major, choisit d'établir la Charte du Citoyen.. Elle est censée placer le citoyen britannique au cœur de la rénovation des services publics quitte à ce` qu'il en cautionne la privatisation. Il aura fallu attendre l'arrivée au pouvoir du New Labour de Tony Blair pour que les deux concepts citoyen/consommateur ne soient plus considérés comme antinomiques mais complémentaires, réunis, par ailleurs, sous la bannière de la nébuleuse " troisième voie ". À la condition de respecter les droits et ses devoirs associés aux deux, rien ne s'oppose désormais, à ce que le citoyen puise une partie de son identité dans la consommation qui le caractérise. Cet ouvrage réunit treize articles écrits par des spécialistes de la civilisation britannique contemporaine. Ils ont essayé de voir dans quelle mesure, au cours des dernières décennies, l'identité " citoyen et/ou consommateur " a été assignée ou revendiquée dans des domaines bien précis, l'éducation, la santé, les transports, la fonction publique... Ces deux concepts s'excluent-ils mutuellement ou au contraire, comme le prétend le New Labour, leur complémentarité ne constituerait-elle pas la base pour définir à la fois la citoyenneté et la consommation de demain ? [-Raphaële Espiet-Kilty, Timothy Whitton-] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- Citoyens ou consommateurs? Les mutations rhétoriques et politiques au Royaume-Uni [-Raphaële Espiet-Kilty, Timothy Whitton-]"
ADOBE PDF
Preparing ...kpf
ePUB
Rich Text Format
EBOOK
DOC
Mobipocket
Zip
Preparing ...kf8
TXT

Allen's Dictionary of English Phrases

Synopsis : "Allen’s Dictionary of English Phrases is the most comprehensive survey of this area of the English language ever undertaken. Taking over 6000 phrases, it explains their meaning, explores their development and gives citations that range from the Venerable Bede to Will Self. Crisply and wittily written, the book is packed with memorable and surprising detail, whether showing that 'salad days' comes from Antony and Cleopatra, that 'flavour of the month' originates in 1940s American ice cream marketing, or even that we’ve been 'calling a spade a spade' since the sixteenth century. Allen’s Dictionary of English Phrases is part of the Penguin Reference Library and draws on over 70 years of experience in bringing reliable, useful and clear information to millions of readers around the world – making knowledge everybody’s property. [-Robert Allen-] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- Allen's Dictionary of English Phrases [-Robert Allen-]"
PDF
KPF
ePUB
PDB
eBOOK
Preparing ...doc
Mobipocket
DjVu
FB2
Preparing ...txt

Chambers Reference Online

Synopsis : "Consult Chambers 21st Century Dictionary, The Chambers Thesaurus (1996) or Chambers Biographical Dictionary (1997 edition with amendments). [--] ..."

🗃 Availability File Format 🗃
"- Chambers Reference Online [--]"
ADOBE PDF
KPF
EPUB
Preparing ...pdb
E-BOOK
DOC
Mobipocket
Preparing ...zip
Preparing ...kf8
Preparing ...txt